Sunday, August 30, 2009

My Watercolor Plein Air Set Up


I have had a few requests from readers to see my plein air set up for watercolors. I actually have 2 set ups for wc. A small one in my purse which I will detail in another post and my larger set up for bigger paintings. I use the Alla Prima 10 x 12 Bitterroot Pochade Box for my watercolors. This is a really great box hand made here in the USA by Ben Haggett!




Here is the box ready to go. I have a lightweight, 11 x 16 masonite board, my chair, water and tripod strapped to the pochade with elastic straps and I have added a shoulder strap that I took off an old bag. The whole thing weighs about 8 pounds.




Here a couple of photos of the set up. Ready to paint.

I use an enameled metal box which folds up and fits in the drawer or my new Heritage palette from Cheap Joe’s (which I really like but does not fit in the drawer) for my paints. I fill my own pans with M Grahams and a few Holbein colors. Board fits very nicely into the magnetic clips of pochade. I can also fit blocks of Arches paper in a variety of sizes very nicely. This is one versatile pochade box. I love seeing other set up so post links with what you use!





Below is a photo of my painting buddy- my 10 year old son, Aidan. He really enjoys the plein air experience and has been creating a watercolor nature journal.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis

Deborah Bollman Fan Box

My Blogger Panel 2