Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Jumper WIP - Continued

     I hope today's blog post finds everyone well.I have been doing great. Things are moving along smoothly and after quite a few setbacks I am onto Plan B. It is all good.

  I have been getting quite a lot of painting done these days. The previously posted jumper WIP has been coming along nicely.  At this stage I am continuing to add glazes to the horse, finding the shapes of the light and shadow. I started adding darks to the rider. Painting people is my nemesis and watercolor is very unforgiving. If you mess up ....well...oh well.  Do over. So with that thought in mind I am getting the worst of the rider over with.



Now I am adding some darker values to the horse. This really brings out the light. Adding darks is one of my favorite parts of working with watercolor. It is the opposite of working with acrylics where you save the lights for the end.
    The eye still has that mask like quality to it. So my next step is to go in and get some life into the painting and detail the eye. The horse is really looking like it is emerging from the page now.


     I have some decisions to make at this point. #1 is the background. I usually have a pretty well thought out plan of what I am going to do relative to a background when working this large in watercolor. But not this time.  I seem to enjoy flying by the seat of my pants these days.  :) There is a wing of a jump on the bottom right corner and I may let the paints fly and run and do it's watercolor thing to keep it loose on that section.  But the rest? I am kind of liking the white but we'll see how it goes.

   On other studio news. I am once again a participating artist at the Sea/Hear (aka Slide Slam)  that will be held September 18 at the Kane House on E. Main Street in Pawling, NY. The exhibition will provide a unique opportunity to hear directly from the artist, their thought process, motivation, experience and influences.  My next blog post will provide more information on this fun event.
See/Hear

Til next time!

Deborah

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis

Deborah Bollman Fan Box

My Blogger Panel 2