Saturday, April 04, 2009

Piaffing Dressage Horse WIP

I had a nice long session in the studio last night and I thought I would post the results of my watercolor painting. This is a WIP of a dressage horse piaffing (or trotting on the spot).. WIP stands for Work-In-Progress. I am at the stage where I will look at it for a couple of days and then I will make changes or additions. This is 10 x 8 on Arches Cold Press. I usually work on hot press but I thought I would give the cp a go. I found that I couldn't push the paint and water around as easily. I used a pretty limited palette of cobalt, ult. blue, yellow ochre, aliz crimson and Payne's grey then azo, sap green and black(for the greens). All images are clickable for an enlarged view.

I worked wet on wet on the background just dropping paint and pushing it around.


Just laying down glazes. Not sure how I wil finish the rider's face. I don't want much detail on his face. So this is one of the things I need to figure out..



Still laying in glazes and playing around with the colors..



This is where I have ended up. I am pretty happy with it so far. I need to work on the bridle, the horse's eye and the rider's face,shirt and boot. Then do some softening of the lines where the colors come together. I don't want to overwork this.

And as always it has no title so suggestions are most happily welcomed! Naming paintings is harder for me that painting them!


1 comment:

Fashion Schlub said...

it's gorgeous! i love seeing the process like that...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis

Deborah Bollman Fan Box

My Blogger Panel 2